Winter Place - Montgomery, AL
 

Contact Want to Help Local Article Recent Progress Projects Winter Place


Historic Winter Place

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Historic Winter Place

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



Historic Winter Place

 

 


Welcome to Winter Place




MONTGOMERY CITY GUIDE

Winter Place is on the National Registry of Historic Places | Location
The Neighborhood

Winter Place was built in 1855 by Joseph Samual Winter and his wife Mary Elizabeth Winter. One of the country's leading architects of the time, Samuel Sloan of Philadelphia, designed Col. Winter's first home and it is believed that Sloan designed Winter Place as well. Sloan also designed the Governor's Mansion in Raleigh, NC. Mary Elizabeth Winter is the namesake for the very historically significant Winter Building, which she inherited from her Father, John Gindrat in 1854.

An 1880 census shows the Winter family living in the North House while their daughter Sally Gindrat Winter Thorington was living the South House with her husband Robert D. Thorington and family. The South House has been in the Thorington family ever since. The North House was out of the Winter family from 1946-1951 but has been in the Thorington family ever since.

Historic Winter Place

Winter Building is on the National Registry of Historic Places


On September 29th, 2005, Winter Place was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks
and Heritage primarily for housing the first offices of the Confederate Army.

Built in 1841 by John Gindrat to house the Montgomery branch of the Bank of St. Mary's. In 1854 was willed to his daughter, Mary Elizabeth, wife of Joseph Winter.

On April 11, 1861, Confederate Secretary of War Leroy Pope Walker sent telegram from second floor offices of Southern Telegraph Company to Charleston authorizing Confederate General P. G. T. Beauregard to fire on Fort Sumter. Subsequent bombardment was first military action of War Between the States.

Winter Building in the Alabama Department of Archives and History


Map of Winter Place in 1887